I know I’m a little late to the game, but these first ten days of 2017 have been busy as I get back into the swing of things. 🙂 It’s been a phenomenal ten days and I anticipate many more great days ahead.
But looking back at 2016, I am thankful for the many lessons I have learned this past year. Some were hard, some were easy. All were important.
To make this blog post easier on both you and I, I’ve compiled a list below.
ALL THE THINGS I LEARNED LAST YEAR
- friends often come from unexpected places
- my feelings aren’t always the reality
- love is selfless; and sometimes that means i have to set aside what I want for what the person I love wants
- I am strong. After everything I’ve been through and experienced, I’ve not only survived, but I’ve endured. And that is just beautiful.
- God is faithful. God is good. even when there’s nothing good in me, He is gracious, loving, and merciful.
- as a believer, I do not fight for victory, but from victory.
- family is far too deep a word to be confined to mean “blood relatives;” family is something you carry with you in your spirit. the blood between two people is not so much a factor as the spirit they carry between them.
- brotherhood/sisterhood is so so so important.
- I may be lonely at times, but I am never alone.
- as I spent the year fasting all forms of secular music, I realized that while I do enjoy fun music from time to time, I am not willing to risk the presence of God in my life for Taylor Swift…
- the things I pour into my spirit will determine my character; so I must spend time feeding myself the right things.
- if I want to see the face of God, I must approach His presence as Moses and Joshua did.. with barefoot faith.
- revival isn’t a moment; it’s a movement.
- only I decide what kind of man, brother, friend, son, and leader I am going to be.
- the devil is a liar.
- my soul family* is the best.
- when God lays something to ruins in your life, He will always rebuild something bigger and better from the ground up.
- I can only control the type of person I am. I can’t control anyone else. So I must love everyone, even if no one loves me.
- I may not be your typical male stereotype, but I am a man of God with all the authority, strength, and courage of a man of God. it is my character that makes me a man; not whether or not I like musicals and cardigans.
- seasons come and go, but He remains.
THINGS I’VE LEARNED SO FAR THIS YEAR
- I am in control of my emotions.
- I don’t need to worry about troubles that may or may not come in the future. all that really matters is the truth of here and now.
- by the grace of God, I can put a fence on the insecurities, the fears, the doubts, the worries, and the things I overthink.
- when you love others selflessly and focus on the positive rather than the negative, your relationship with that person becomes much healthier and far more fruitful.
- I may be immature in some areas of my life, but I can be confident that my experiences and my upbringing have made me spiritually mature. rather than take for granted the knowledge and experience I carry about spiritual matters, I should allow that maturity to shine in every part of my life.
- I don’t know everything, but what I do know, I know well and I can be proud of that.
- I have blood family and soul family* who take pride in me and are blessed by their relationship with me.
- Prayer changes things.
*soul family – a term I coined to describe the intimate bond between my best friends and I.